August 6, 2008

NO SOLICITING !!!!!! That means YOU!!!

Is it just me or is everyone getting harassed lately? I've got people coming to my front door trying to sell me steaks, baby books, alarms, sprays to remove rust, Jehovah Witnesses, questionable pollsters, poor college/high school students selling magazines......It just doesn't end. I put a "NO SOLICITING" sign right in the middle of my door and they still knock. Its ridiculous. The city of Plantation needs to do something like this. Then to top it off, when I go to Publix or Blockbuster, I've got groups of people standing around in front of the store with religious literature....(" Sorry, No Hab-La-Es-Pan-Yol"). I really think it should be against the law to go around door to door selling shit. I really do. Nowadays, I don't want ANYBODY at my door I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is directly from the City Code of Woodbury, MN, where the sign you proposed was originated:
(see the Woodbury City Code)
=========================
(g) License exemptions.
(1) No license shall be required for any persons to sell or attempt to sell or to take or attempt to take orders for, any product grown, produced, cultivated, or raised on any farm or garden occupied and cultivated by themselves.
(2) No license shall be required of any person going from house to house, door to door, business to business, street to street, or other type of place to place when the activity is for the purpose of exercising that person's state or Federal Constitutional rights such as the freedom of speech, press, religion or the like, except that this exemption may be lost if the person's exercise of Constitutional rights is merely incidental or a commercial activity.
(3) Professional fundraisers working on behalf of an otherwise exempt person shall not be exempt from the licensing requirements of this chapter.
(4) Members of organizations for charitable, religious, patriotic or philanthropic purposes shall be exempt from subsections (b) and section 11-103 provided that they comply with section 11-99.

============================

As you can see, you would be able to keep only a very small group from knocking on your door. The majority you mentioned are protected by the First Amendment.

May I suggest a sign stating:
"HERE, YOUR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS STOP AT THE BEGINNING OF MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS. IF YOU WANT PROOF, KNOCK ON MY DOOR!"